I was born the son of a poor black sharecropper. No, wait – that was Steve Martin. I was born in Des Moines, Iowa sometime in the ‘70’s. And no, I did not grow up on or near a farm. Yes, we had electricity. Yes, we had running water. And to date, I’ve never worn overalls. But I’m sure I’d look amazing in them.
I’m a proud Midwesterner. And even though I travel a lot for a living … I always look forward to coming home. Home is now just outside of Kansas City where I’m nestled in the sprawling Mecca of Johnson County, Kansas.
Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be in TV. Or on TV. Or watching TV. I’m not picky. I even got my degree in Broadcasting from the University of Iowa to prove to the world I was not only educated, but well-versed in sitcoms, game shows and Oprah. (I got minors in French and acting as well. Someday, that will enable me to write, produce, direct and star in a straight-to-video project in Quebec.)
I’ve worked and freelanced for a variety of local television affiliates in Des Moines, Orlando and Kansas City. Until recently, I was the co-host of a local, daily entertainment show, KC Live.
I’m an Aries … with a Pisces rising. I had my astrological chart done once. Didn’t understand it then, don’t understand it now.
I like to write. Good thing because that’s what I do for a living. My parents still can’t comprehend how I earn my keep stringing words together for the universe to appreciate. Frankly, that makes three of us. But I feel like it’s what I was put on this earth to do. I was born to write. Whether or not you read it – hell, that’s up to you.
Other insipid things that make me a well-rounded, but not rotund individual:
- I’ve won eight Emmys. In 2000, 2009, 2010 (two of ’em!), 2011, 2012 and 2014 (two more!). They were weird categories, so don’t ask. But I consider myself the “reverse Susan Lucci”. The first thing I was ever nominated for freakin’ WON! And I was nominated seven times after that without a win until many years later.
- I’ve never seen “The Wizard Of Oz”. By choice. Although, I do know all the pop culture references. It’s mandatory because I live in Kansas.
- I’m a certified (and certifiable) Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer on the side. Don’t ask me to take you on as a new client … unless you’re hot.
- I’ve never been arrested. (That my parents know of.)
- I’m obsessed with The B-52’s.
- I tried to get “Tin Roof Rusted” on my license plate. It came out TNRFSTD. People think I’m from rural Tennessee and have a scorching case of herpes.
- I’m not famous, but think I am.
Yearning for more? Check out the MM Interview with M2 »